*NEW* Beef Pot Stickers









**My suggestion:
Forget trying to steam these suckers. Just go ahead and fry them and save yourself the considerable frustration of having them fall apart on you every time. The three ways I have tried to steam them have all ended in disaster. Which is ENTIRELY frustrating considering the time they take to put together. If I wanted a casserole, I would have just saved the effort. 


Make them into Baked Egg Rolls. The filling is GREAT!


These were Delicious and will definitely go into my repeat file. 
Adapted from http://theredspoonblog.com
Makes about 18-24

  • 1/2 pound ground beef, or turkey, or Pork
  • 2 tablespoon minced green onions [ 2 whole onions including white end]
  • 1 cup shredded chinese [Napa] cabbage [or coleslaw blend]
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoons soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons dry white wine, [or rice vinegar, or I used a white Merlot]
  • 1 teaspoons minced peeled ginger [1/2 tsp ginger powder]
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
Pot sticker or Wonton wrappers
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
-----------------------------

  • In a bowl, combine first 8 ingredients.
  • Place a heaping teaspoon of mixture in center of pot sticker wrapper. Lightly wetting the edges of the wrapper, fold over and press to seal. Repeat until all the filling has been used.
  • Boil a large pot of water and add 1 tablespoon of oil. In two batches cook dumplings until cooked through and rise to the top, about 4 – 6 minutes. 
  • Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon. In a large nonstick skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium high heat. In two batches cook until browned, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. 
  • Serve with Soy-ginger sauce, **or if your tastes run a bit sweeter—Mongolian Sauce.

Soy Ginger Sauce
In a bowl, stir together 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar, 1 tsp ground ginger, 1 teaspoon sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil. Garnish with minced chives.


** Only glitch I had was with my wrappers. They say WONTON wrappers and that they are suitable for ravioli, etc, but they totally fell apart with both recipes I used them with. I had to, instead, cook the filling all together and then put about a tsp of filling in the center of the wrapper squares and fold them into triangles then pan fry them in a couple TB oil for about 2 minutes on each side on about med-hi [#7 on my dial] totally skipping the whole boil step.

The dumplings/pot stickers I've ever had in a restaurant were steamed and the wrappers felt like fat cooked pasta, but the kind I was using just went soggy and the seams all fell apart dumping out all the filling.


—However, as eggrolls they were PERFECT
.



one more try at steaming:

**steamer directions I need to try next time since my previous attempts at steaming were utter disasters
Cut a piece of parchment slightly smaller than diameter of steamer basket and place in basket.  Poke about 20 small holes in parchment and lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray.  Place batches of dumplings on parchment liner, making sure they are not touching.  Set steamer over simmering water and cook, covered until no longer pink, 8 to 10 minutes.

Why do I do this blog?

Well, because I like easy to make, flavorful dishes with a moderate fat count, and a wide variety of them. This blog is the perfect place to bring together all of my favorites for easy access to pull up to use when it's time to make dinner.