Coconut Custard pie is one of those pies where I find that the crust really doesn't add anything but fat. It doesn't enhance the flavor. It pretty much just holds stuff together. So this is a modified recipe that doesn't call for crust but is instead a simple and delicious treat, that creates it's own version of a light crust without the extra fat count.
3 TB butter
2/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups milk
1 cup shredded coconut
|See how the eggs and flour fluff around the edges to make a sort of "crust"?|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- In a large bowl beat eggs then stir in everything but coconut. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Next, add coconut and combine well.
- Pour into Greased 9 in pie plate.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Immediately after removing from oven sprinkle with cinnamon.