Baked Egg Rolls
- 1/2 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 TB soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 green onions
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 or 3 cups shredded cabbage [you REALLY want to try and use the pre-shredded coleslaw mix here and if so, omit the carrot listed below. I chopped my own and they rook longer to cook and were harder to fold up in the wrappers]
- 1 shredded carrot
- 1 celery stalk, sliced thin
- 8 (7 inch square) egg roll wrappers
- 1 TB canola oil
Preheat oven to 425°. Line baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
Combine celery, carrots and cabbage in medium microwave safe bowl. Cover with wet paper towels and heat/steam for 5 minutes.
Add canola oil to large skillet heat to medium-high. Add onion, 1/2 teaspoon ginger, and garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add turkey; cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cabbage mixture, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, flour and pepper. Cover and chill 15 minutes.
Place 1 egg roll wrapper at a time onto work surface with 1 corner pointing toward you (wrapper should look like a diamond). Spoon 3 tablespoons filling into center of wrapper. Fold lower corner of egg roll wrapper over filling. Fold in trimmed corners. Moisten top corner of wrapper with edge of tightly folded wet paper towel [ I just licked mine, but hey, I'm family!] ; then roll up wrapper like a burrito.
Lightly coat egg rolls with cooking spray, and place, seam side down, on a baking sheet lined with foil and lightly [or generously, like I did] coat with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 18 minutes or until golden brown.