Chicken Macaroni and Cheese Bake

What to do, what to do? Macaroni and Chicken Bake
So, I couldn't decide what to make for dinner. And I thought, what will the kids eat? Macaroni and cheese-- no brainer there. But I kinda need some sort of meat product to feel like I've had "Dinner" dinner, so, hey, Chicken. And crunchy cracker topping is always a welcome addition to any meal. So there you have it. I meant to have some broccoli on the side, but forgot due to the extreme salivating the scent of this baking incited.


~ Cheese Sauce~
{ I use this for homemade mac and cheese too*}
2 cups milk- [I use 1 cup skim, 1 cup 2%]
2 TB flour
2 TB butter
1 tsp salt
 1/4 tsp black pepper
 2 cups sharp cheddar

2 chicken breasts cooked [ about 1 1/2 cups]
1 TB onion flakes
1/2 can cream o' chicken soup
1/2 box pasta of choice cooked according to directions
*Would be good with about 1 cup or so of broccoli florets mixed in too*


~Topping~
1 sleeve Ritz [ Reduced Fat] crackers crushed [ *or 1 generous cup crushed Texas Toast Garlic and Cheese croutons*] + 2 TBSP melted butter or margarine
~Directions~
  • Heat in microwave safe bowl the first 4 ingredients for 3- 3.5 minutes
  • Stir with wire whisk, then add cheese and heat an additional 1.5 minutes
  • Stir, add onion.
  • Shred chicken and mix with prepared pasta in 9X11 baking dish. Cover with cheese sauce. stir.
  •  Top with crushed crackers and margarine blend.
  • Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees for 20 minutes until cracker topping is golden.

Why do I do this blog?

Well, because I like easy to make, flavorful dishes with a moderate fat count, and a wide variety of them. This blog is the perfect place to bring together all of my favorites for easy access to pull up to use when it's time to make dinner.