To me, this says that serious comfort food is the order of the day.
And nothing comforts better than cheesy goodness, and a wee bit o' the Irish--soup, that is!
with maybe a little of that other Irish later on...
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 1 cup chopped onion
* 2 stalks chopped celery
* 1 teaspoon minced garlic [2 cloves]
* 4 good sized potatoes, or about 2 lbs, cubed [I leave the skins ON]
* 3 cups chicken broth [3 cups water, 3 tsp chicken bouillon]
* 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
I like to add a carrot or 2 to mine as well. But that is completely optional and not traditionally Irish. But I'm Irish, so I say it counts!
In a medium-large pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add everything EXCEPT cheese and bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soup is thick and only small chunks of potato remain.
Add cheese and stir until cheese is melted.
Garnish with cheese and green onion, if desired.