Cinnamon Swirl Bread That Actually Works!
I made it last night and the whole family LOVED it!! We're ready to start on the 2nd loaf already!!
Makes 2 medium height 9X5 loaves
- 3 teaspoons yeast [1 packet rapid rise]
- 1 cup warm skim milk (or any other milks really)[ even water actually works just fine]
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 stick [1/2 cup] melted butter
- 4 cups flour ( start with 4 and add more as needed)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 TB melted butter [or margarine]
- 2 TB cinnamon
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup white or brown sugar [ or a mix of the two!]
1. Mix both yeast and water together and proof. [stir, then let sit for 3-5 minutes]
2. mix together sugar, butter, eggs, milk, and proofed yeast.
3. Add 1 1/2 cups of flour and mix well.
4. add the rest of the flour until a stiffish dough forms, cover and let rest for a few minutes [5 minutes] then knead for about 5-10 minutes until soft and holding together well.
5. Cover and let rise until doubled in a greased bowl ** I just spray the glass or plastic bowl with Pam between risings** [20-25 minutes in oven with oven light ONLY on], punch down [ I have read in a book by Julia Childs that you want to gently PRESS the dough down with the flats of your palms to pop the air bubbles. PUNCHING tends to make the bread tougher and doesn't get out the air as well. The POINT is to get the excess air out] and let rise again [30 minutes] **Each phase of rising takes about 45 minutes on counter top**
6. Then roll dough out into a rectangle then brush with a little bit of butter.
7. Sprinkle with sugar cinnamon to taste then roll up jelly roll style.
8. Place in 2 greased bread pans [8x4], or on a greased ** I use Parchment paper** cookie tray and bake for 25-30 minutes at 375 F or until when tapped it sounds hollow.
9. Cover with foil for last 10 minutes of bake time if the top is browning too fast, when you take it out of the oven you may brush the top with extra butter or margarine to make a softer crust.