Chicken Cottage Pie



Chicken Cottage Pie
Topping:
3 or 4 cups [depending how much you LOVE your potatoes] instant or homemade mashed potatoes
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese *optional* 
 Paprika for garnish color *optional* 

Meat and Veggies for filling:
3 chicken breasts, fresh or frozen [no need to thaw first]
1 large onion, or 2 tb onion flakes, or 1 hearty tsp onion powder
1 16 oz bag frozen mixed veggies or:
2 large, or 3 medium carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen corn

Gravy Goodness:
 1/3 cup flour
 1/2 tsp garlic powder , or 1 clove garlic, minced
  3 cups of broth made from water used for cooking the chicken and veggies- I just start with a little more than I'm going to need and cook everything in that.
  1 TB chicken bouillon


Put about 4 cups of water in a big pot, then add the chicken and chicken bouillon. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer on about medium low for 20 minutes, then add all veggies and cook for another 30 minutes.
Remove all veggies and chicken with slotted spoon place in large bowl.
Separate out chicken to cool before shredding or cubing. I put mine in ice water to speed up the process.
With broth simmering, add flour and garlic powder, whisk briskly to smooth out lumps, then simmer until thickened and toss everything back in. Stir to coat well.
Pour into greased, deep dish 9" pie plate, or a 9x5 bread pan works too. Spoon mashed potatoes in a thick layer about an inch thick covering the top. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese [ i used freshly grated parmesan in the picture above] if desired, and a dash of paprika for color. Place whole thing on cookie sheet in case of spillage [there usually IS a little bit, so PLEASE place a pan underneath while cooking.]

Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes, or 400 degrees F for 20 minutes, just long enough for everything to get nice and bubbly and the potatoes to get lightly golden on top.

6 comments:

  1. I had something like this on my honeymoon in London and it was yummy! This looks just as good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this tonight and it was really, really good! Although mine didn't look as pretty and I ended up with enough to feed the Armed Forces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you liked it! Only Joe and I eat it [because our kids are finicky beyond all belief], so yeah, it lasts another couple of days around here too, but it freezes GREAT, which is a nice plus!
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you freeze it, how do you reheat it? I leave out the chicken and have extra veggies to make up for it, but my whole family loves this dish. I would like to make extra and have it in the freezer for those days when I need something that I can just throw in the oven, but not sure how to go about that. Thank you for sharing your recipes. I've also tried the Ooey Gooey White Chicken Enchiladas and adapted it to be vegetarian. We love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never tried it as amake ahead meal, just freezing leftovers in some tupperware and heating it the microwave. But from what I understand about freezer friendly make ahead meals, as long as you put everything together in an Aluminum pan and cover it with a double layer of foil, you should be good to go. It *should* last 3 or 4 month in the freezer that way.
    Then when you wan to reheat it for dinner some night, the process is something like you would do for a store bought lasagna: heat the oven to 350 degrees, and bake for about 1 hour, covered for the first 45 minutes, then remove foil and bake until bubbly and lightly golden on top [15-20 more minutes].
    The key seems to be using the aluminum pan so it can make an easy transition from freezer to oven. Thank you so much for your feedback and checking out my recipes!
    ~Anne Tierney on Chicken Cottage Pie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for answering. We've never had enough leftovers to even think of freezing it so I wasn't sure how it would reheat in the microwave. I used your Baked Chicken and Spinach Flautas recipe as inspiration for dinner the other night and was really happy with that too. Thank you again for sharing yummy comfort food.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Why do I do this blog?

Well, because I like easy to make, flavorful dishes with a moderate fat count, and a wide variety of them. Providing the same for others is why Tierney Tavern is here.
If you're looking for something new and tasty to try for dinner, take a look around, and for goodness sake if you like something or even go so far as to make a dish I have posted here—Please leave a comment and let me know how you liked it or any suggestions you might have!

Contact Me

feel free to email me at:asteentierney@gmail.com