Nana Hank's Mexican Lasagna


My wonderful mother in law made this fantastic lasagna for my birthday dinner last weekend, and I loved it so much I am making it again for my family tonight.

Ingredients

1 pound ground turkey
2 TB chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 cup onion, chopped [or 1 tsp powder, or 1 TB dried, minced]
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
1 cup medium heat taco sauce or 1 (14-oz) can stewed, or fire roasted tomatoes
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1/2 tsp garlic powder
8 (8 inch) spinach flour tortillas, [yep, the green ones!]- the multi-grain ones are good too!
3 cups shredded Sharp Cheddar
3 or 4 scallions, finely chopped

Directions
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add turkey and season with chili powder, cumin, and onion. Brown the meat, 5 minutes. Add taco sauce or stewed or fire roasted tomatoes. Add black beans and corn. Heat the mixture through, 2 to 3 minutes then season with salt, to your taste.

Spray 9 X11, or whatever similar sized baking dish you have, with cooking spray. Cut the tortillas in half or quarters to make them easy to layer with. Build lasagna in layers of meat and beans, then tortillas, then cheese. Repeat: meat, tortilla, cheese again. Bake lasagna 15 minutes until cheese is brown and bubbly. Top with scallions and serve.

This Cook's Notes: ok, I added about 1/2 cup worth of the white part of the scallion, thinly sliced, to the meat mixture [in addition to the onion powder listed above] and saved the dark green parts for on top.
I also added 1 large tomato, diced, just because I wanted to!



Why do I do this blog?

Well, because I like easy to make, flavorful dishes with a moderate fat count, and a wide variety of them. This blog is the perfect place to bring together all of my favorites for easy access to pull up to use when it's time to make dinner.