Tastes like an almond danish!
1/2 cup warm milk (about 85 degrees F)
1/4 cup hot water 115 degrees.
4 tablespoons [1/2 stick] butter or margarine, softened
3 tablespoons sugar
2.5 cups flour
1.25 teaspoon active/rapid rise dry yeast [1 packet]
1/2 cup Almond paste
1/2 cup brown sugar
2-3 tb soft butter/ margarine
*optional* 1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 TB milk
2 TB softened or melted butter/margarine
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Stir yeast in with warm milk and almost hot water. Let sit 5 minutes until creamy looking.
2. In large bowl mix dry ingredients
3. Stir in yeast mixture add egg and butter.
4. Knead,[ 2-5 minutes by hand ]
5. Let rise in warm place (covered with damp cloth) [about 30-45 minutes in oven with JUST oven light on]
6. When doubled, punch down, and let it rise again.
6. When doubled again, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Flatten by hand into a 10-in. x 8-in. rectangle, brush by hand with light, even coat of butter/ margarine.
Combine Filling: Almond paste, brown sugar, butter and bit o’ nutmeg [ I warm about 20-30 seconds in microwave so it’s easier to combine] ; spread evenly over dough. Roll up tightly jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Pinch seams and ends to seal. Place seam side down in greased 8-in. x 4-in. x 3-in. loaf pan. or 9 X 5 if you must.
3. Bake at 375 degrees F for 23-25 minutes in 8x4 pan. If using 9X5 pan, reduce cook time 3-5 minutes. It's done when golden and sounds hollow when you lightly knock on the top. Cool in pan on wire rack.
4. Combine glaze ingredients; spoon over loaf while still a little warm. Top with a sprinkling of toasted almond slivers for a nice added bit of crunch!