Deep Dish Pizza

Three Cheese, Sausage, Green Peppers and Onion
*This made some of the BEST pizza I have EVER tasted!*
For us this made 2  Nine inch pizzas. 


Ingredients:
CRUST: 

  • 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
  • 2/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
  • 2  cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 TB vegetable oil, extra virgin olive oil works too!
  • 2 TB Butter
  • 1 teaspoon each dried oregano, basil and marjoram/thyme [the two taste very similar in my opinion. I actually used both and halved the amount of basil.]
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 Tsp salt

SAUCE:
  • 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree *original recipe called for diced, but mine were REALLY juicy even after I squeezed the juice out, so NEXT time I’ll go with crushed/puree blend.
  • 1 small can tomato paste
  • 1 small onion, chopped [ for kid friendly sauce, next time I'll use 1 tsp onion powder, or rounded TB onion flakes. But the adults loved the real onion.]
  • 1/2 teaspoon each dried oregano, basil and marjoram *I also added Thyme*
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder

TOPPINGS:
  • 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
  • 1/2 medium green pepper, chopped
  • 1.5 cups grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 pound sausage, cooked and drained [I used turkey sausage which tastes a lot like italian sausage with 1/2 the fat] — *I only used 1/4 lb since only 1 pizza needed meat*.
  • *optional* 2 ounces sliced pepperoni, ham, bacon, etc.
  • **have also made with 1 cup frozen spinach, thawed and added to pan with onions and green peppers to cook off extra juice. **YUMMY!

Directions:

  1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand 5-10 minutes. Add 1.5 cups flour, oil and seasonings; beat until smooth. [I did all mixing with my hands]
  2. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
  3. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-5 minutes. 
  4. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to greased top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 min-1 hour. [in oven with oven light on , I find is a great place]
  5. Punch dough down; roll out into a 15-in. circle. Transfer to a well-greased 12-in. heavy ovenproof skillet or round baking pan,  letting dough drape over edges. 
  6. Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella.
  7. In a skillet, saute half of onion, the green peppers, and sausage until tender/ browned; drain. 
  8. Layer half of the mixture over crust. Layer with half of the Parmesan, sausage and green peppers. 
  9. Sprinkle with 2 cups mozzarella. Repeat layers. ending with sauce on top. Fold crust over to form an edge.
  10. Bake for 400° for 20-35 -until crust is browned [20-25 minutes for the 9 inch pizza/ 35-40 for a 15 inch large pizza]. 
  11. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. —NO EASY FEAT, I ASSURE YOU!!

***************************
Here’s what I actually DID for the below goodness:

  1. I divided the dough in half and lined 2 Pam Sprayed 9 inch Pie Plates. I don’t have any cast iron *GASP!*
  2. I folded the edges down so they all stood about 1 inch tall, then cooked them for 5 minutes at 400 degrees.
  3. Then sprinkled each with about 1/2 cup of Mozzarella, and 1/2 cup freshly shredded Parmesan.
  4. Next, I liberally sprinkled sausage, peppers and onions over the one crust,  and about half cup of cheddar cheese on the second crust since it was for the kids and was a simple 3 cheese pizza.
  5. I made a sauce of the tomato, seasonings, and half of the onion— I also added an additional 1/2 tsp garlic powder to the sauce. Then prepared the sausage, 2nd half of the onion, and green pepper separately.
  6. I added a solid layer of sauce, then topped with rest of mozzarella and parmesan.
  7.  Finally, I cooked them for 25 minutes. Could have gone with anywhere between 20-25.
3 Cheese Deep Dish


They were magnificent!!!


Why do I do this blog?

Well, because I like easy to make, flavorful dishes with a moderate fat count, and a wide variety of them. This blog is the perfect place to bring together all of my favorites for easy access to pull up to use when it's time to make dinner.