|Three Cheese, Sausage, Green Peppers and Onion|
For us this made 2 Nine inch pizzas.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 TB vegetable oil, extra virgin olive oil works too!
- 2 TB Butter
- 1 teaspoon each dried oregano, basil and marjoram/thyme [the two taste very similar in my opinion. I actually used both and halved the amount of basil.]
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree *original recipe called for diced, but mine were REALLY juicy even after I squeezed the juice out, so NEXT time I’ll go with crushed/puree blend.
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 small onion, chopped [ for kid friendly sauce, next time I'll use 1 tsp onion powder, or rounded TB onion flakes. But the adults loved the real onion.]
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried oregano, basil and marjoram *I also added Thyme*
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1.5 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 pound sausage, cooked and drained [I used turkey sausage which tastes a lot like italian sausage with 1/2 the fat] — *I only used 1/4 lb since only 1 pizza needed meat*.
- *optional* 2 ounces sliced pepperoni, ham, bacon, etc.
- **have also made with 1 cup frozen spinach, thawed and added to pan with onions and green peppers to cook off extra juice. **YUMMY!
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand 5-10 minutes. Add 1.5 cups flour, oil and seasonings; beat until smooth. [I did all mixing with my hands]
- Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-5 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl; turn once to greased top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 min-1 hour. [in oven with oven light on , I find is a great place]
- Punch dough down; roll out into a 15-in. circle. Transfer to a well-greased 12-in. heavy ovenproof skillet or round baking pan, letting dough drape over edges.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella.
- In a skillet, saute half of onion, the green peppers, and sausage until tender/ browned; drain.
- Layer half of the mixture over crust. Layer with half of the Parmesan, sausage and green peppers.
- Sprinkle with 2 cups mozzarella. Repeat layers. ending with sauce on top. Fold crust over to form an edge.
- Bake for 400° for 20-35 -until crust is browned [20-25 minutes for the 9 inch pizza/ 35-40 for a 15 inch large pizza].
- Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. —NO EASY FEAT, I ASSURE YOU!!
Here’s what I actually DID for the below goodness:
- I divided the dough in half and lined 2 Pam Sprayed 9 inch Pie Plates. I don’t have any cast iron *GASP!*
- I folded the edges down so they all stood about 1 inch tall, then cooked them for 5 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Then sprinkled each with about 1/2 cup of Mozzarella, and 1/2 cup freshly shredded Parmesan.
- Next, I liberally sprinkled sausage, peppers and onions over the one crust, and about half cup of cheddar cheese on the second crust since it was for the kids and was a simple 3 cheese pizza.
- I made a sauce of the tomato, seasonings, and half of the onion— I also added an additional 1/2 tsp garlic powder to the sauce. Then prepared the sausage, 2nd half of the onion, and green pepper separately.
- I added a solid layer of sauce, then topped with rest of mozzarella and parmesan.
- Finally, I cooked them for 25 minutes. Could have gone with anywhere between 20-25.
|3 Cheese Deep Dish|
They were magnificent!!!