Hearty Ham and Bean Soup


This was my first time making this, and I mixed and matched parts of about 5 different recipes to come up with this one. My husband is no fan of ham so I went with lean, boneless pork loin chops and only a bit of ham for flavor. Turned out really tender, and very, very tasty!
 We had our first snow yesterday and it is currently 20 degrees and falling outside. No better time for a thick, hearty soup like this as far as I'm concerned. 


INGREDIENTS:

  1. 2 cans Great Northern beans, drained,   rinsed, 
  2. 1 can red beans or black eyed peas, drained, rinsed
  3. 5 cups water
  4. 3 tsp chicken bouillon granules
  5. 1 stalk celery, chopped
  6. 1 tsp baking soda
  7. 1 medium potato, with peel, cubed
  8. 1 large chopped onion
  9. 1 tsp garlic powder
  10. 1 teaspoon ground mustard powder
  11. 2 bay leaves
  12. 1 lb boneless pork loin chops [cooked in soup for 60 minutes, then removed. Trim off all fat and cube or shred. Then toss back in for remaining cook time]
  13. 1/2 cup ham, chopped small
  14. 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Cover and simmer all together on low for 60 minutes






Why do I do this blog?

Well, because I like easy to make, flavorful dishes with a moderate fat count, and a wide variety of them. This blog is the perfect place to bring together all of my favorites for easy access to pull up to use when it's time to make dinner.