Alright, I know what your thinking, "Hey, that wasn't listed on your weekly menu." I know, I know, but as a woman, and as the cook, I am entitled, as well as inclined, to change my mind due to how I'm feeling, or the weather, or, like today--the fact I didn't want red meat for the third night in a row. But in this case it was an inspired change. This was a tasty creation pulled together on the spot from what I already had on hand.
- 2 medium sliced carrots
- 4 cups water [enough to cover everything by about an extra half inch]
- 1 cup frozen broccoli florets
- 1 or 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small/ medium potato diced small
- 2 cups [or 2 breasts] shredded or cubed cooked chicken
- 2 TB chicken bouillon granules, or 5 or 6 cubes
- Medium chopped onion, or 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Mrs. Dash Table blend
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 TB grated Parmesan cheese [ to thicken]
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese [ I use closer to 2, but I love me some cheese!]
- 1 TB dried parsley flakes
It's also good with squash, zucchini, white beans, green beans, maybe half cup of diced tomato, or even corn.
I actually cook everything together at one time, in one pot [yes, even the frozen chicken breasts straight from the freezer] Go ahead, gasp, you know you want to!
Bring to boil then turn down to med-lo [ 2 or 3 on my dial], cover and cook about 20 minutes. Remove chicken to cool , and add cheeses while veggies continue simmering another 30 minutes on Low, not simmer, but LOW. Once chicken is cool enough to handle, shred or dice and toss back into the pot. Stir to blend well. Done in 1 hour.