Cheesy Squash Casserole


This recipe stems from the basics of a long time family favorite a family favorite at both Christmas and Thanksgiving dinners for as long as I can remember. I let a couple of other recipes I found online influence me a bit on this by adding the garlic and cheese, and experimenting with crushed Ritz crackers as the topping instead of the stuffing I've always had on it. 
I mean, really, can you go wrong with cheese or Ritz crackers? Not in my book.

Either way, it turns out, the results are delicious, and as in tonight's case when I found I had no stuffing in my pantry come cook time-- I now have options. I like options.
Cheesy Squash Casserole

1 lb yellow squash [ at least 3 or 4 good sized]
1 cup onion -[2 TBSP DRIED/minced onion]
1 large carrot shredded [ or 2 , if you're like me and love a good carrot]
1 tsp salt
~The Soup Mixture~
8 oz sour cream
1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese - I use extra sharp cheddar
1/2 tsp garlic powder, and onion powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
~Topping~
1 sleeve crushed Ritz crackers cut in with 3 TB BUTTER

~Directions~
*Chop the squash and onion and shred the carrot.
*Cook all 3 in medium sized pot by just covering the squash, onion and carrot with water and salt.
*Bring to a boil and let cook until done but still firm—10 minutes.
*While these vegetables are cooking, in another bowl mix the sour cream, garlic, pepper, dash of salt, and cheese.
*Add veggies to sour cream mixture, stir well
*In greased 9X9  baking dish add veggies mixture, top with cracker goodness.
*Bake for 30 minutes uncovered, at 350 degrees until bubbly and the topping is lightly browned.

**to use broth instead of using condensed soup: save water used when boiling veggies together. Measure out 2 cups and add 1/3 cup flour to it. Whisk until all flour is completely blended in and simmer, whisking often to make sure it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan, about 5 minutes until thickened.**

Why do I do this blog?

Well, because I like easy to make, flavorful dishes with a moderate fat count, and a wide variety of them. This blog is the perfect place to bring together all of my favorites for easy access to pull up to use when it's time to make dinner.