French Chicken and Onion Soup

I LOVE French onion soup, but often wish I could feel better about making it the whole meal. I mean, really, Onions for dinner?? So I decided to make it with shredded chicken and it was DE-LICIOUS!
Here's what I did:

Ingredients
2 chicken breasts
3 T butter
3 large onions, cut into thin half moons
1 tb dried minced onion
1/2 tsp onion powder
5 cups beef broth [5 cups water, 5 tsp beef bouillon granules]
ground pepper to taste
Half loaf sliced French or Italian bread- [I cubed and toasted mine in the oven]
Sliced Baby Swiss or Provolone cheese

Melt butter in a medium saucepan.
Add onions and reduce the heat to medium-low.
Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are tender, about 30 minutes.
-- while the onions are browning--
In separate medium or large sauce pan: add broth, minced and powdered onion, pepper and chicken breasts and bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium and cover, simmer for 30 minutes.
Add sauteed onions to chicken when browned- simmer all together for another 15 minutes.
Remove chicken and shred or dice and return to pot.

When ready to serve, layer bread cubes-- or One 1 inch slice of bread-- on bottom of bowl, ladle soup over, then top with a slice or two of cheese and heat in microwave for 30-60 seconds until cheese is melted, rather than the tradition broiler method requiring special bowls.

Why do I do this blog?

Well, because I like easy to make, flavorful dishes with a moderate fat count, and a wide variety of them. This blog is the perfect place to bring together all of my favorites for easy access to pull up to use when it's time to make dinner.