Ooey Gooey White Chicken Enchiladas

[no red sauce or tomatoes] 

White Chicken Enchiladas
*WARNING* In my book there is no such thing as too much cheese 
~INGREDIENTS~
~Sauce~
1.5 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup flour
 3/4 cup sour cream
3/4 cup milk
 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp salt

~Filling~
1/2 can refried beans 
1 tablespoon margarine
 1 onion, chopped
 1/2 tsp garlic powder [or 3 cloves minces garlic]

 1 tablespoon chili powder
 2 medium sized cooked chicken breast , chopped or shredded
 1  4 oz. can chopped green chile peppers, drained
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese 

5 or 6 (10 inch) Large flour tortillas

 ~DIRECTIONS~ 
 1 Put chicken in medium sauce pan and boil breasts for 15-20 minutes if thawed 0r 25 minutes if frozen. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2 In a small sauce pan mix broth, flour, milk, salt. Whisk together until flour is completely incorporated. Then add cheese and sour cream; stir together and warm on medium low until cheese is melted.
 3 Melt margarine in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add onion, chile peppers, chili powder,  and garlic, saute until tender. Stir in the chicken, refried beans, 1 cup cheese, and 1/2 cup of the cheese sauce. Cook and stir until heated through.
 4 Spread 1/2 cup of the sauce in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Spoon about 3/4 cup of the chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up tortillas, and place, seam-side-down, in the baking dish.
5. Pour remaining cheese sauce on top.
6. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes, **just warming it all through since most of it is already heated prior to putting together** until bubbly and lightly browned.

8 comments:

  1. My husband is in love with the cheese comment! He aslways says that.

    I am making this becuase I hate red sauce and tomatoes. I'm sure it's all kinds of fattening but good God!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting, Michelle!
    It really isn't too bad fat-wise if you go with reduced fat cream of chicken soup and Lite sour cream like I do. You can even use skim milk since primarily the milk is only to thin the cheese sauce and make it go a bit farther [further?] [more far?]. Anyhoo, that means the main source of fat primarily comes from the cheese.
    So, eat and enjoy without guilt!!
    That what I aim for with the majority of what I make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lite sour cream you say? That's blasphemous!!!!! I don't allow lite sour cream or mayo in the house. I'd rather be fat.

    I made this and it was excellent. I was also able to make stuffed shells with a bechamel sauce so I could eat it. I HATE red sauce and tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. bechamel sauce??? Define please?
    I know a lot of folks who feel the same way you do about lite stuff, but I've made my peace with it. There are a lot of lite things I WON'T eat though. It's all about the taste with me. Less calories or fat but crappy taste, then, no. just. no.
    *Anne*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made these the last time you posted this. Damn good!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for letting me know! So glad!!
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. These were the best! We had them for a Sunday dinner with my Dad and the Kids that could make it! Everyone loved them. Plan on making them again soon! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deborah, thank you for letting me know!! So very glad you enjoyed them!
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Why do I do this blog?

Well, because I like easy to make, flavorful dishes with a moderate fat count, and a wide variety of them. Providing the same for others is why Tierney Tavern is here.
If you're looking for something new and tasty to try for dinner, take a look around, and for goodness sake if you like something or even go so far as to make a dish I have posted here—Please leave a comment and let me know how you liked it or any suggestions you might have!

Contact Me

feel free to email me at:asteentierney@gmail.com