Sour Cream [ Non-fat GREEK YOGURT] Chicken Enchiladas

Makes 8 enchiladas

1/2 lb chicken breast, shredded
1 cup refried beans
1 cup chopped onion, or 1 heaping TBSP dried onion flakes, or 1 tsp onion powder
1 tablespoon vegetable [coconut] oil
8 flour tortillas, softened (8 inches each)[ *I use LA BANDERITA [found at Walmart] Low Carb - they are soft and easy to work with right out of the package, plus 6 grams of Fiber EACH!]
1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup sharp Cheddar [ or whatever kind you like]
2 TBSP butter
3 TBSP flour
2 cloves garlic, minced/crushed
2 cups chicken broth
1.5 cups sour cream [ or I **PREFER** to use non fat greek yogurt. It honestly tastes just like regular Sour Cream with no fat and considerably more Protein. WIN/WIN]
4 oz. chopped green chilies
**Confession: I use twice the called for amounts of cheese because I’m a cheese fiend and have little to no self control when it comes to adding obscene amounts of cheese to things. Don’t judge.**

Directions:

1. In frypan, cook chicken, garlic and onion together in oil over medium-high heat until chicken is just done. [3-4 minutes]

2. Divide cooked chicken and refried beans evenly between 8 tortillas; add 2 TBSP [or 1/4 cup like me- join me in my cheese love, won’t you?] Cheddar cheese to each tortilla.

3. Roll enchiladas and place seam-side down in 9x11” baking dish that has been lightly sprayed with no-stick cooking spray.

4. Melt butter in a medium saucepan; stir in flour to make a roux; stir and cook until bubbly; gradually whisk in chicken broth then bring to boiling, stirring frequently.

5. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream and green chiles; pour sauce evenly over enchiladas.

6. Top with remaining cheeses (baking dish may be double-wrapped and frozen at this point) and bake at 400F for 20 minutes until cheese is melted and sauce near edges of baking dish is bubbly.

*Garnish with thin sliced green onion or chopped parsley.
************************
ok, here is what I *REALLY* did vs what the recipe  SAID I should do: { I like to give you options}
 I put the butter, 2 cups water, chicken bouillon enough for 2 cups of broth, onion powder [or dried flakes], and garlic powder, in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 3 minutes. Add flour, whisk till smooth. Add cheese, heat another 1 minute and 30 seconds. Whisk again. Add Greek yogurt. Whisk some more. there is your sauce.
Now I like to boil a whole 3 Lb lb bag of chicken breasts at a time [about 45 minutes to an hour from frozen state] and then separate them into 2 and 3 breast [ roughy 1 LB] portions in freezer baggies, and freeze those babies.
so I pull about 2 frozen cooked chicken breasts from the freezer in the morning. when thawed, shred those babies and put them back into their baggie and back into the fridge util ready to use.
 in small sauce pan I put the green chilies, 1 cup of refried beans, and 2 heaping TBSP of greek yogurt, and the shredded chicken. Stir together and heat on low to med-low while making the sauce
 I pour a bit of the sauce into the pan before I start adding Enchiladas, then add a bit [ 1/3 cup-ish of sauce to the filling mix]. Roll those puppies up, cover with remaining sauce. Cover with foil [ Or don't ] and bake.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Why do I do this blog?

Well, because I like easy to make, flavorful dishes with a moderate fat count, and a wide variety of them. Providing the same for others is why Tierney Tavern is here.
If you're looking for something new and tasty to try for dinner, take a look around, and for goodness sake if you like something or even go so far as to make a dish I have posted here—Please leave a comment and let me know how you liked it or any suggestions you might have!

Contact Me

feel free to email me at:asteentierney@gmail.com