BBQ Chicken Quesadillas
Serves 4-6 [depending if you add more veggies]
- 8-10 whole wheat or whole grain tortillas [sundried tomato would be good too]
- 2 cups chicken, shredded
- 1 small vidalia onion [or white or yellow works too, just vidalia are a tad sweeter]
- 1/2 medium yellow, green, or red bell pepper, diced small
- 2 whole green onions, chopped small
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups shredded, sharp cheddar cheese- or Colby blend
- 1/2 cup [give or take, depending how much you like] your favorite barbecue sauce
- sour cream to taste [ I like to put about 1/2 cup in a plastic zip sandwich baggie, and snip a tiny piece off of one corner, so I can squeeze drizzle lines of sour cream just where I want it]
- Heat a skillet on medium heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Slice the onion, and green pepper, sprinkle with salt and add it to the pan to caramelize – about 10- 15 minutes. Transfer onions to a bowl when finished.
- To assemble quesadillas, add some cheddar cheese on the bottom. Top with layer of chicken, a drizzle of barbecue sauce, drizzle of sour cream, caramelized onions [and green peppers], sprinkle of chopped green onions [about 1 TB per Quesadilla], and bit more cheese on top.
- Heat the same skillet you used for the onions on medium heat and spray it with cooking spray. Add quesadilla to the pan, letting cook on each side about 5 minutes, or until tortilla is crispy and cheese is melted.