Yields 6 flautas
Prep Time: 15 minutes; Total Time: 45 minutes
Baked flautas stuffed with seasoned, shredded chicken, spinach, and cheese are crispy, but don’t have the greasiness of fried versions.
|This is what mine looked like using whole grain tortillas and generous amounts of Monterey Jack cheese. YUM!!|
2 large boneless, skinless Chicken breasts [boiled and shredded]
1 teaspoon Paprika
1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 teaspoon ground Cumin
1 teaspoon Chili Powder
1/2 cup refried beans *optional*
3 cups Baby Spinach, chopped [I used frozen, thawed, about 2.5 cups before thawing]
1 TB dried onion flakes, of half of small onion diced small
6 10 inch tortillas shells [ I used burrito sized whole grain]
2 cups grated Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 450*F.
2. Put the chicken breasts in a deep sided saute pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove the chicken from the liquid and shred it. Mix together the chicken, seasonings, and refried beans [if using].
3. Pour out all but 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid. Add the spinach and TB dried onion flakes, and cook over low heat until for 2-3 minutes, or until the spinach is wilted. [I did all this in a microwave safe bowl for about 2 minutes]
4. Add spinach to chicken mixture.
5. Spoon (about 1/2 cup) chicken, spinach mixture one edge of tortilla. Cover with about 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Roll the tortilla up, leaving ends open, and place seam-side down on a well sprayed, aluminum foil lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
6. Spray the flautas with cooking spray. Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden and crispy crispy.
Serve with sour cream and/or salsa