Coconut Shrimp, Coconut Shrimp, Coconut, Coconut, Coconut Shrimp


I have a confession to make. I Love, with an almost embarrassing and unholy fervor, the Coconut Shrimp they serve at Outback. I have, in fact, been fantasizing about said shrimp for going on 3 days now. So, today I go grocery shopping and tomorrow I have THIS.
I will have to make 2 dozen, just for my husband and I, because I will, undoubtedly snarf down at least a dozen before we even make it to the table.
There. I have confessed. I feel so much better now. Thank you for understanding.

Batter:
1 egg
2/3 cup light tasting beer [or milk can be used]
1.5 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup all-purpose flour


Coating:
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups flaked coconut

1 Lb peeled shrimp [I prefer the tails off so I can pop those bad boys in my mouth and not have to worry about avoiding the shell of the tail or missing out on the bit of meat trapped inside]
3 cups oil for frying

Directions
  1. In medium bowl, combine egg, 1/2 cup flour, beer [or milk] and baking powder. 
  2. Place 1/4 cup flour and coconut in two separate bowls.**or put the flour in a large plastic baggie, toss all the shrimp in, shake to coat
  3. Dredge shrimp in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in batter; allow excess to drip off. Roll shrimp in coconut, and place on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. [or place in the freezer for 15] Meanwhile, heat [2 inches deep] oil to med-hi [between #6 and 7 on my dial] to pan fry.
  4. Fry shrimp in batches: cook for 2 or 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Using tongs or slotted spoon, remove shrimp to paper towels to drain. Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce.
**personal note: if you want to avoid the freezer/fridge wait time, simply let the batter set for about 20 minutes at the beginning of prep time before starting to coat the shrimp, then fry immediately after coating. [ I think fridge time is to allow batter and coconut to adhere better to the shrimp so little is lost in the grease.]


Dipping Sauce: [this is NOT the Outback sauce. I'm not a horseradish fan.]
1/2 cup orange marmalade
4 teaspoons rice wine vinegar— or lemon juice
crushed red pepper flakes to taste

Why do I do this blog?

Well, because I like easy to make, flavorful dishes with a moderate fat count, and a wide variety of them. This blog is the perfect place to bring together all of my favorites for easy access to pull up to use when it's time to make dinner.