Blueberry Cream Cheese Crumble


As you peruse the desserts on this blog, you soon realize I am a BIG fan of the Crumble. Which is just another word for easy breezy casual pie with the crust crumbled on top. As you can see, "Crumble" is much simpler to say. 
Anyhoo, I've been having quite the yen for blueberries lately. Blueberry pancakes, blueberry bread, blueberry crumble Coffee [oh, yes, and boy is that good!], blueberry lollipops, you name it. 
I bought a bag of  frozen blueberries the other day and wanted to make something yummy and delicious with them last night. Hitch is, my husband and I aren't giant dessert eaters. This is why I love Crumbles, because I can adjust the portion size and just make as much as we'll like for a bit o' dessert, rather than have to make a whole pie that I'll just feel compelled to eat in its entirety a few bites at a time all throughout the day. No. Just. No. See? This is why the little 1 1/2 cup ramekin containers I received last Christmas are perfect.
This recipe makes about four 1/2 cup servings, but if you double it  and bump the cook time to about 35 minutes, [the key is baking long enough for the crumble to turn a nice golden color] , you can have yourself a regular 9 inch pie dish  full of goodness to share.

The filling:
2 TB all-purpose flour
2 TB sugar
2  TB blackberry jam [ grape could work as well]
1/2 package (4 ounces) cream cheese, softened [Reduced Fat]
2 TB sour cream [Reduced Fat]
2 TB fat free or low fat cottage cheese [or omit this and just use a total of 1/4 cup sour cream]
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 1/2- 2 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened blueberries, thawed and drained [a little juice is fine]

Crumble Topping: 
2 TB packed brown sugar
1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 TB melted butter [I used margarine with good results and half the fat count]

In a small bowl, combine first 5 ingredients [ I popped it in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds, to get it all soft enough to blend easily together]
I used 2 little 4 inch ramekins for mine. Sprayed with Pam, then dumped all the gooey goodness in and topped with solid layer of thawed unsweetened blueberries [abt 3/4 cup per ramekin]

In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, oats and flour with melted butter until crumbly. Sprinkle in clumps over filling.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.  Serve warm or cold. 
This is a 9 inch Pie plate with the ingredients doubled
  • Yield: 3-4 servings.

Why do I do this blog?

Well, because I like easy to make, flavorful dishes with a moderate fat count, and a wide variety of them. This blog is the perfect place to bring together all of my favorites for easy access to pull up to use when it's time to make dinner.