With BOTH Halloween and Thanksgiving coming soon, this is the PERFECT dessert for both occasions, and pretty much every other day of Fall as well. Just LOOK at this amazing goodness!!!
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, margarine, *or coconut oil* [my preference nowadays]
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup cooking oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups canned pumpkin
Whipped Cream Topping (*see recipe below*)
cake assembly directions:
- In a heavy saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter, and whipping cream. Cook over low heat until the brown sugar just dissolves, stirring occasionally. Pour mixture into two 9x1-1/2-inch round baking pans. Sprinkle evenly with the pecans. Let the mixture cool slightly.
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt. Set it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the granulated sugar, cooking oil, and eggs. Add the pumpkin and dry ingredients alternately to the oil mixture, beating until the mixture is just combined.
- Carefully spoon the batter over the pecan/ brown-sugar mixture in the baking pans. Place pans on a baking sheet. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpicks inserted in the centers come out clean. Cool the cakes in pans on wire racks for 5 minutes. Invert them onto wire racks, replacing any brown-sugar mixture that remains in the pans. Cool before assembling.
- Meanwhile, prepare the Whipped Cream Topping.
- To assemble the cake, place one cake layer on a serving plate, praline side up. Spread with the topping. Add the second layer, praline side up. Pipe or dollop with the remaining topping. Sprinkle lightly with some additional pie spice, if you like. Makes 12 servings.
note**Plan to assemble this cake no more than 1-1/2 hours before serving, so the whipped cream doesn't break down. Keep the cake chilled until it's served.
*Whipped Cream Topping*
- 1 3/4 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- In a clean mixing bowl, beat whipping cream on high until soft peaks form (tips curl). Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat the topping mixture until stiff peaks form (the tips stand straight).