Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes
makes 6-8 side dish sized servings
3 medium russet potatoes, sliced into 1/8 inch slices, [or just slice thin on a grater, the side panel that makes slivers, but doesn't grate. Does that side have a name?]
1 tsp onion powder
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 tsp ground black Pepper [to taste]
2 cups milk
2 cups shredded Sharp Cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Butter a 1 quart casserole dish.
2. **Make cheese sauce** [recipe below]
3. Layer 1/2 of the potatoes into bottom of the greased casserole dish.
4. Top layer cheese sauce between layers of potatoes.
5. Then add the remaining potatoes.
6. Pour rest of cheese over the potatoes, sprinkle with bread crumbs if desired, and cover the dish with aluminum foil.
7. Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven. During last 3 minutes, take off foil and set under broiler to brown cheese. **WATCH to be sure it doesn’t burn**
I do my cheese sauce in the microwave in a 4 cup glass container, use whatever microwave safe bowl you have that will hold 6 cups.
Heat the butter and flour together for 30 seconds. Stir together. Then add milk, onion powder, salt and pepper, stir and then heat for 3 minutes. Stir well. Add cheese. Heat another 1 minute. Stir well.
Why do I do this blog?
Well, because I like easy to make, flavorful dishes with a moderate fat count, and a wide variety of them. Providing the same for others is why Tierney Tavern is here.
If you're looking for something new and tasty to try for dinner, take a look around, and for goodness sake if you like something or even go so far as to make a dish I have posted here—Please leave a comment and let me know how you liked it or any suggestions you might have!
feel free to email me at:firstname.lastname@example.org