- 1 lb of flank steak, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 small onion, sliced in thin strips
- 2 TBSP cornstarch
- 2 TBSP of canola oil
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon of chopped garlic (3 large cloves)
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/3 cup of soy sauce (I use low sodium)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 3 green onions, sliced crosswise into thirds [or 1 inch pieces]
Heat skillet or large wok to medium-high, add the cornstarch and sauce , whisk until well blended, heat for about 4 minutes, stirring frequently, and transfer back to bowl.
Turn the heat up and add the oil to the wok. Add the beef and white onion and cook, stirring until the beef is browned and onion soft (this is a quick thing: 2-3 minutes). Pour the sauce back into the wok and let it all cook together, about 2 minutes. Add the green onions and sesame oil at the last minute, toss together and remove from heat. Serve immediately.