3 cups cooked pasta [ just under half a box] , macaroni, small shells, mini ziti
1.5-2 cups thawed and squeezed spinach [ or 1 large bag fresh, chopped small]
1/2 cup onion, diced small
1 TB olive oil, butter, or margarine for sauteing onion
1.5 cup fresh grated parmesan [save 1/2 cup to sprinkle over top of casserole before baking]
1 cup grated Swiss
2 cups milk
2 TB butter
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp Emeril's Essence [or cajun *i.e. zesty* seasoning of choice]
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in large sauce pan over medium heat and stir in the onion. Cook for about 5 minutes until soft and starting to brown.
- In separate bowl cook pasta according to directions.
- In medium microwave safe bowl combine 2 cups milk, 2 TB butter, 1 tsp salt — heat for 3 minutes.
- Add flour and seasonings, whisk until flour is well incorporated, then add 1 cup swiss, and 1 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese. Stir to combine and heat and additional minute.
- Add spinach to onion in the large sauce pan and heat through.
- Then add pasta and cheese sauce to pan and combine well.
- Pour into greased casserole dish or large baking dish and sprinkle remaining saved 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese over casserole, topped by crushed Crouton/Panko/cracker crumbs.
- Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes, just enough to brown the crumbs on top and incorporate the flavors all together.