- 1 cup washed and dried pumpkin seeds
- 1 TB melted butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice [3/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/8 tsp allspice or clove]
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Heat over med-low until sugar is melted. Add in the seeds and stir until well coated. Spread over a greased foil-lined [ or parchment paper-lined] rimmed cookie sheet/ baking pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 45-50 minutes or until seeds are lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Cool completely; break into pieces. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 1 cup.
I made these with fresh seeds just after carving our pumpkin. Next time I recommend letting them sit out over night [ on some parchment paper] to dry out a bit first, so when you roast them they are crisp and crunchy like slivered almonds. The fresh ones were just a bit too chewy and by the next day after being stored in an airtight container, even more unpleasantly so.
**These can also be cooked over low to medium-low heat in the skillet.**