Blueberry jam shortbread bars
Prep Time: 25 min + chill time
Cook Time: 35 min
8x8 glass pan
3/4 cups (1.5 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1.5 cups blueberries +1/2 cup preserves]
powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray 8X8 inch pan with nonstick spray.
- Prepare shortbread: In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to combine butter and sugars, vanilla, and salt; beat until creamy. [ I just stirred with wooden spoon until well blended.]
- Divide the dough in half.
- Wrap one half in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes or so. Press the other half of the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan to form the bottom crust.
- Bake the crust until it is just beginning to turn light brown around the edges, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven.
- Place jam and berry blend into a bowl and stir very well until it is nice and smooth. Spread the jam-mix evenly over the partially baked crust.
- Crumble the refrigerated shortbread dough over the jam to form a crumbled topping.
- Return the pan to the oven and continue baking until the topping is firm and crisp and golden in color, about 35 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar before cutting into bars.
* Diversify by using any fruit preserves you prefer*
*The bars will keep in a covered container at room temperature for about 1 week. Or keep in the freezer for up to 1 month.