Hearty Meat and Potato Pie *REVISED*

*The former gravy filling for this, I decided was too thick and gloppy, so I got rid of the canned soups and revised things with this much lighter, tastier version*


Ingredients

1 pound ground beef [I used 1/2 ground turkey/half beef]
1 medium onion, chopped small
3 medium potatoes, cubed [I leave the skins on]
2 large carrots, sliced
1 1/4 cups beef broth
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp oregano
2 TB tomato paste or ketchup
1 tsp garlic powder, or 3 minced fresh clove
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1   9 inch pie crust


Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (220 degrees C). 
  2. In a large skillet, brown the ground beef. Remove from heat and drain off excess fat.
  3. Melt margarine in a saucepan over medium heat. Add potato, carrots, and onion, and cook until the onion is tender [about 5 minutes]. Sprinkle the flour over the mixture, and stir to blend. Season with oregano, black pepper and garlic powder. Pour in the beef broth, and add the beef. Bring to a boil. Transfer the mixture to a 2 quart casserole dish, and place the pastry over the top. Cut slits for steam, and flute the edges.
  4. Place on a baking sheet, and bake for 35 minutes, or until crust is golden. Let stand 10 minutes before serving to thicken.


4 comments:

  1. Im going to make this tonight! Question...do you not put a crust on the bottom...only over the top?

    ~Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. *I* only put 1 crust on the pie, but many [read MOST] pot pies have 2. With the gravy and whatnot, the bottom crust will likely get quite soggy and not benefit the overall flavor.
    Let me know how you like it!!
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. umm.....I took a nap got up and the recipe is changed but I bought the two kinds of soup for the other recipe! I dont have beefstew mix! I need the old recipe.
    ~Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about that! I often tweek the recipes after I make them a time or two. My condensed veg/beef soup had shriveled gross veggies in it, so I opted for the seasoning mix and 1/2 cup of milk instead. That's the only difference.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Why do I do this blog?

Well, because I like easy to make, flavorful dishes with a moderate fat count, and a wide variety of them. Providing the same for others is why Tierney Tavern is here.
If you're looking for something new and tasty to try for dinner, take a look around, and for goodness sake if you like something or even go so far as to make a dish I have posted here—Please leave a comment and let me know how you liked it or any suggestions you might have!

Contact Me

feel free to email me at:asteentierney@gmail.com