DUBLIN CODDLE


It’s been a while since I added a real IRISH recipe here to the Tavern. So here we go!
Mine does not look like this at all.

DUBLIN CODDLE (IRISH)
 Adapted From THE POOLBEG BOOK OF TRADITIONAL IRISH COOKING
Traditionally this is served for dinner, but I like to eat it at breakfast.

 Servings : 4
 
1/2 lb  Bacon, chopped into even sized pieces
    1/4 lb   Good meaty sausage links
    1 Large onion- or 2 medium
    3  Medium Potatoes (or even 4)
    2 TB dried parsley
    Ground black pepper to taste

I gotta tell ya, I just don’t have the patience to slow cook this goodness in the oven. I cook mine on the stove in the biggest non-stick skillet I have with a lid. **and, I like to crack in a couple of eggs on the side right as it finishes cooking [***and, please forgive me, I like ketchup on mine. I know!  I know, Don’t judge me! I don’t normally like such disgusting sounding things, but I swear, it’s really good! Not a LOT of ketchup , but some is definitely worth trying.
 Do you still love me?
 Are we still friends?


My Way of preparing it:
Grate the potatoes on the side of the grater that you’d use for potato chips
Dice up the onion in whatever size pieces as you find palatable
Cut the bacon into 1 or 2” slices
I’ll admit I don’t add the sausage [If I could find IRISH sausage around here, I would DEFINITELY add THAT! So mild! Soooo GOOD!]
 Anyhoo, if you like sausage then leave links whole or dice ‘em into bite sized pieces— your call.

Toss it all in the skillet and then add about 1 cup of water to the skillet. Bring to boil, stir everything,  then cover and let simmer for about 45 minutes. Stir from time to time. If it seems dry, add a bit more water. The potatoes really suck it up. That’s a good thing, so you don’t want things drying out mid way through cook time or your potatoes will be tough.
Mine usually sucks up 99% of the water.
After 40-45 minutes, scoot everything to the side and crack a couple of eggs in the pan, I even like to open one of the eggs over the top of some of the potato goodness. Quick fry the eggs and serve.

Now, here is the Traditional Way of preparing it:
[supposed to be more like a stew, so things are traditionally cut larger and more water is added]

  Peel and chop the onions  roughly.  Peel the potatoes as thinly as possible.  If they are large,
   then cut them into two or three large pieces;  otherwise leave them whole.
    Chop the fresh parsley. -- Place a layer of onions in the bottom of a
   heavy pot with a good close-fitting lid.  Layer all the other ingredients,
   giving each layer a grind or so of fresh-ground pepper.
 Add no more than 2 cups of water to the pot.  Bring the water to the boil, then reduce the
   heat at once, cover tightly, and barely simmer for 2 to 5 hours.  The
   perfect way to cook it is in a heavy casserole pot in a very low oven at
   250F.  I know this sounds vague, but if the pot is heavy and the lid
   tight, it really can't come to any harm.  The longer and slower the
   cooking, the better.  If you prefer, before serving, remove the sausages
   and quickly brown them on one side under the broiler.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Why do I do this blog?

Well, because I like easy to make, flavorful dishes with a moderate fat count, and a wide variety of them. Providing the same for others is why Tierney Tavern is here.
If you're looking for something new and tasty to try for dinner, take a look around, and for goodness sake if you like something or even go so far as to make a dish I have posted here—Please leave a comment and let me know how you liked it or any suggestions you might have!

Contact Me

feel free to email me at:asteentierney@gmail.com