*REVISED* Cabbage Rolls My Way



Fans of the Stephanie Plum Series of books by Janet Evanovich will be familiar with the Cabbage Rolls often served during her Sunday visit to her parents’ house. I’ve never even tried this dish, but every time I read about them eating it, my mouth would water as though I were tasting it myself. So, many years after reading about it in her books for the first time, I am finally trying these goodies for myself tonight!
Life imitating art.
Ingredients

1 large head savoy cabbage
1-1/2 cups chopped onion [Large onion], divided
1 tablespoon butter
28 ounces crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce
4 garlic cloves, minced— divided
1-2 tsp white sugar
1+1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
1 cup cooked rice
3/4 cup shredded cabbage
1 TB Worcestershire sauce
Small can tomato paste [4 oz]
3/4 pound lean ground beef
1/2 pound turkey sausage
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 green bell pepper, diced small
1 cup instant mashed potatoes
Dash of Tabasco Sauce for a a bit of punch

Directions
  • In a Dutch oven, cook cabbage in boiling water for 10 minutes or until outer leaves are tender; drain. Rinse in cold water; drain. Remove 12 large outer leaves [or more if possible], set aside.
  • In one saucepan, saute 1 cup onion in butter and 2 cloves garlic until tender. Add tomatoes,  sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Simmer while cooking filling mix in second pan [abt 25 min], stirring occasionally.
  • In second medium sauce pan, brown meats together with remaining onion, garlic. Drain grease. 
  • To browned meat mixture add rice, mashed potatoes, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Mix well, heat on med-low about 10 minutes to blend flavors- stir about halfway through that time.
  • Remove thick vein from cabbage leaves for easier rolling. Place about 1/2 cup meat mixture on each leaf; fold in sides. Starting at an unfolded edge, roll up leaf to completely enclose filling. Place seam side down in a skillet. Top with the sauce. Add up to 1/2 cup water if sauce needs a bit of thinning. 
  • Cover and bring to a good simmer, then lower heat to medium-low heat for 30 Minutes. 
  • Yield: 6-8 servings.
  • *I had enough filling for 15-18 rolls*
  • *They are quite good served with Sour Cream.*
  • Also, since it's hardly dinner in my book without some sort of cheese involved, I tried some of mine sprinkled with shredded sharp cheddar--Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Why do I do this blog?

Well, because I like easy to make, flavorful dishes with a moderate fat count, and a wide variety of them. Providing the same for others is why Tierney Tavern is here.
If you're looking for something new and tasty to try for dinner, take a look around, and for goodness sake if you like something or even go so far as to make a dish I have posted here—Please leave a comment and let me know how you liked it or any suggestions you might have!

Contact Me

feel free to email me at:asteentierney@gmail.com