For my birthday this year I want THIS...
Oh, I have had this recipe in the back of my cookbook for almost 10 years, always thinking THIS year I'll make this for my birthday [I have no problem with making my own cake]. But for some reason I never do. Well, this year I am definitely going to. It's waited long enough. And so have I.
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) devil's food cake mix
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened [1/3 reduced fat]
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped [Yep, I’m going there!!]
- 2 tablespoons grated semisweet chocolate
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using two 9-in. round baking pans. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
- Beat whipping cream until fluffy.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and salt until smooth. Fold in whipped cream.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with a fourth of the cream mixture. Sprinkle with a fourth of the chocolate. Repeat layers three times.
- Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. Yield: 12 servings.
- **For a healthier version of the cake, simply mix 1 can of pumpkin into the dry cake mix — I’ve heard folks swear by this, but I have personally never tried it. Might have to though since I have 6 cans of pumpkin in my pantry.**