Baked Panko Chicken/Potato Croquettes


  • 1 medium onion, diced [ or 2 TB onion flakes- If I want my kids to eat these I have to use onion flakes] **Next time I'll try 3-4 full green onions 
  • 2 cups boiled chicken [cooled, finely shredded]
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp chicken bouillon granules
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheese
  • 2 cups mashed potatoes [ I used instant potatoes and put the bouillon, and onion flakes in the water used for these- I added the cheddar cheese to these too.]
  • 1 1/2 cups Panko bread crumbs + 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Patties:
  1. In a bowl, mash chicken with a fork until ground and set aside. [I use my hands, and if chicken has been boiled about 45 minutes and cooled, shreds very fine.] 
  2. Brown onions in bit of oil or butter.
  3. Add onions and 1 egg to chicken and mix thoroughly.
  4. Combine mashed potatoes [cheese, onion, and bouillon included], and 1 egg to shredded chicken. Mix thoroughly.    
  5. Form into flat patties about 3 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch thick. [For this I used one heaping tablespoon]
  6. Coat with Panko crumb mixture on both sides.
  7. Place on aluminum foil lined bake sheet sprayed liberally with butter flavored Pam. Spray patties too. Season with salt and pepper, don't be stingy because Panko isn't full of flavor on it's own. Bake at 475 for 20-23 minutes or until nicely golden brown.
  8. Traditionally, these are pan fried. I tried both cooking methods, and regardless, both were crunchy and good.
Makes about 20 patties
The key to having croquettes remain intact is to have the mixture very cold and firm, and to work quickly


These came highly recommended, but the flavor was mostly of mashed potatoes. I think maybe I'll add garlic or something to the chicken water while it's boiling next time to try and boost the flavor.
Also, I used onion powder, which you'll notice is NOT called for in the recipe— it was very bland. Try to go for fresh onion, if your family will eat it. I have 3 VERY finicky kids that won't eat any onion that they can see.

1 comment:

  1. What's the yield on this, Anne? -Zan

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Why do I do this blog?

Well, because I like easy to make, flavorful dishes with a moderate fat count, and a wide variety of them. Providing the same for others is why Tierney Tavern is here.
If you're looking for something new and tasty to try for dinner, take a look around, and for goodness sake if you like something or even go so far as to make a dish I have posted here—Please leave a comment and let me know how you liked it or any suggestions you might have!

Contact Me

feel free to email me at:asteentierney@gmail.com