2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts [boiled for 40 minutes, cooled and shredded]
1 medium onion, sliced thin
2 TB lemon juice
1 clove garlic, crushed [ 1/2 tsp garlic powder]
2 TB olive oil, plus more for brushing
1.5 cups frozen spinach, thawed
6-8 8 inch flour tortillas
2 cups freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- Place the chicken in medium sauce pan. Cook on high heat until cooked through [from frozen to done in 30-40 minutes].
- Cool chicken in cold water and shred with hands, and set aside.
- In large skillet, heat 2 TB butter, salt and pepper to taste and one thinly sliced onion on Medium heat. Sauté until tender, and let slowly caramelize for about 15 minutes.
- To onions add: shredded chicken, spinach, lemon juice,garlic salt and pepper to taste. Mix together and heat through for about 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Dump into large bowl or onto plate.
- Wipe skillet clean then add about 2 TB extra virgin olive oil on Medium-High.
- Divide the chicken mixture among the tortillas, spooning it onto half of each tortilla and leaving a border uncovered near the edge.
- Sprinkle evenly with the cheese. Fold the tortillas in half over the chicken mixture to enclose loosely.
- Place on skillet and cook about 5 minutes [ I like to cover mine with a large lid to help the cheese melt] .
- Flip over and repeat to achieve toasty goodness on both sides.
- Repeat with remaining quesadillas. Serve as desired with sour cream.
With leftovers I found it was great to top with a little shredded Parmesan and set under the broiler for a couple of minutes. Yum!