Creamy Broccoli and Shrimp Alfredo

I have updated a few of my recipes: Southwestern Baked Egg RollsCajun Bread Pudding with Praline Sauce, and Italian Hearty Beef Stew, so go check them out!!
Servings 5-6
For Sauce:
  • 3 TBSP butter 
  • 1/2 package cream cheese (4 ounce)[ I used reduced Fat] 
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 2 cups milk [I used 2%]
  • 1.5 cups fresh grated Parmesan cheese [ grated from Wedge block]
  • 2 TB flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
The rest:

1 lb large shrimp
1 bag frozen broccoli florets, thawed [or 1 large fresh bunch would work here too]
1 box linguine pasta, cooked

Directions
  1. Melt butter in a medium, non-stick saucepan over medium heat. Add cream cheese and garlic powder, stirring with wire whisk until smooth. Add 1 cup milk, whisking to smooth out lumps. Add 2 TB flour and remaining 1 cup milk,to sauce.  Stir well, add parmesan, salt and pepper, stir until cheese is melted and then whisk until completely blended. Remove from heat when sauce reaches desired consistency. 

  1. Start pasta in large pot.
  2. While pasta is cooking, Add shrimp, broccoli and Alfredo sauce to large skillet, and simmer on medium-low  for about 10 minutes [until broccoli is tender.
  3. Toss with hot pasta, serve.
**With this recipe there are endless variations. Try with chicken, or asparagus!**

This is not a traditional Alfredo sauce [which consists of lots of butter, heavy cream, and parmesan cheese], but a lower fat variation I came up with and found I liked better.

3 comments:

  1. This recipe was awesome, very tasty, I will be using it again and again. This was my very very first time making Alfredo sauce so I was a little confused at first with the ingredients and directions. The ingredients states that you need 2 cups of milk but in the directions it only states to use 1/2 a cup twice. Also the directions don't state when to mix in the Parmesan Cheese. All in all it turned out great thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, wow, sorry the directions were so confusing. I'll fix that now.

      Delete
  2. This dish is amazing.
    Easy to prepare. I didn't have any fresh parmesan so I used the kind in the jar but it was great. Will be making this agzain and again.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Why do I do this blog?

Well, because I like easy to make, flavorful dishes with a moderate fat count, and a wide variety of them. Providing the same for others is why Tierney Tavern is here.
If you're looking for something new and tasty to try for dinner, take a look around, and for goodness sake if you like something or even go so far as to make a dish I have posted here—Please leave a comment and let me know how you liked it or any suggestions you might have!

Contact Me

feel free to email me at:asteentierney@gmail.com