Spinach Chicken Enchiladas





I found this recipes about 10 years ago in a Taste Of Home Magazine. Of course I have doctored and finagled with the original recipe. That's just who I am! It also makes the recipe my own, and I like that. These babies are fabulous and a great way to get a hefty serving of veggies into a meal without much squawking from the peanut gallery. After all, spinach takes on the taste of whatever its cooked with and in this case it's onions and chicken and loads of gooey cheese! Can't go wrong there. Not in my book at least.


~Ingredients~
2 boneless skinless chicken
breast , shredded or cubed
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 (10 ounce) package frozen
chopped spinach, thawed and
well drained
1 (10.75 ounce) can reduced
fat condensed cream of
mushroom soup
3/4 cup milk
1 cup reduced fat sour cream
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 cups shredded mozzarella or Monterey Jack cheese
6 (8 inch) flour tortillas 
[or 4, 10 inch ones]
Minced fresh parsley, or a good sprinkling of dried flakes
~Directions~
  • Coat a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray
  • Cook and stir chicken and onion over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. ***You can also use leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken or whatever kind of cooked chicken you want here. I like to boil mine -- from frozen to finished in 30 minutes.*** [if using precooked chicken, saute onion alone then toss chicken in same pan and stir together.]
  • Remove from the heat; add spinach and mix well. 
  • In a bowl, combine soup, milk, sour cream and seasonings; mix well. [I like to toss about a cup of *additional* shredded cheese in here too. But that's completely optional. I'm a cheese fiend. I make no apology.] 
  • Stir 3/4 cup of sauce into chicken and spinach mixture. 
  • Divide evenly among tortillas. 
  • Roll up and place, seam side down, in a 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
  • Pour the remaining sauce over enchiladas. 
  • Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. 
  • Uncover and sprinkle with cheese; return to the oven for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. 
  • Garnish with parsley.

Serves 4

3 comments:

  1. Wow! This looks really good! I'm adding this to my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anne, I have a question. I've added your blog to my own blog under blogs I follow but I have a friend who I turned onto your blog and she'd like to sign up to follow you but doesn't know how. She doesn't want to get emails but wants to follow you. I can't find a way to do that on your blog. Am I missing it?

    Thanks!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this Spinach Chicken Enchiladas for a church mexican food fellowship. These were the hit of the dinner. I just didnt make enough of the, I love this recipe and I will be making them alot. I have already gave recipe out to several who requested it. Thank a million..
    Maria Mitchell

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Why do I do this blog?

Well, because I like easy to make, flavorful dishes with a moderate fat count, and a wide variety of them. Providing the same for others is why Tierney Tavern is here.
If you're looking for something new and tasty to try for dinner, take a look around, and for goodness sake if you like something or even go so far as to make a dish I have posted here—Please leave a comment and let me know how you liked it or any suggestions you might have!

Contact Me

feel free to email me at:asteentierney@gmail.com