I'm starting a new category label for recipes like this called on my NEED TO TRY list.
If you try them before I can get the chance, please comeback and let me know if they live up to their press, ok?
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted and cooled
- 1 jar (12-1/4 ounces) caramel ice cream topping
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, cream butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in extracts. Combine the flour, salt and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Prick crust with a fork; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake 15 minutes longer or until set.
- Meanwhile, place coconut and almonds in a food processor; cover and process until finely chopped. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in ice cream topping. Spread over crust. Bake for 5-10 minutes or until edges are bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Drizzle over caramel mixture. Let stand until chocolate is set. Cut into bars. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 dozen.