Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies

Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies
adapted from Melanie at mykitchencafe.blogspot.com

 I am going to admit right now-- that isn't my picture-- it's Melanie's at Mykitchencafe. I hope she doesn't mind my using it here, because it's also the reason I haven't been able to stop thinking about trying these cookies since I first saw the recipe on her site about 2 months ago. I have finally decided to suck it up and indulge in these cream cheese, sugar, and butter laden glories, because - dang, have you LOOKED at that picture?! I normally won't make anything as obviously fattening for my family, but, 'tis the season and all that, right? Regardless that it's almost 80 degrees outside when it should be 60-- I'm going to embrace the Christmas mood NOW dadgummit! Now!

~Cookie Ingredients~
1 cup [2 sticks] butter, softened
1/2 package cream cheese, softened [ 4 oz. total]
1 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1/8 tsp salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour

Cream butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add sugar, egg yolk and vanilla; mix well. Gradually add flour. The dough will be VERY soft; don't worry, it gets firmer after chilling. Cover and chill two hours or until firm. Roll out on floured surface to ¼ inch thickness. Cut into shapes; place on greased baking sheets (or use parchment paper). Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until set (but not browned). Cool 5 minutes. Place on wire racks to cool. Frost as desired.

~Cream Cheese Frosting~
**This frosting stays very soft and gooey, perfect for sprinkling with tiny candied goodness.**

1/2  package cream cheese [I use reduced fat, or Neufchatel cheese], softened to room temperature [4 oz. total]
2 or 3 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 or 3 TB heavy whipping cream, (or I just used milk)

In a large bowl combine cream cheese, sugar, salt, milk and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar a little at a time  until desired consistency.

**Alternately I like to use this Butter Frosting for a bit of a lighter tasting cookie.

3 comments:

  1. Ummm... this looks yummy yummy! I can't make these until after I fit back into my skinny jeans...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Butter, sugar, cream cheese, these are a few of my favorite things! Just wondering how the cookies turned out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually made the chocolate ones I have on here instead and they taste like a cookie version of Chocolate cheesecake. I think these would be pretty close to cheesecake in taste especially with the sweet cream cheese frosting.
    Not your typical Christmas cookie, but then, I don't care for typical Christmas sugar cookies...
    *Anne*

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Why do I do this blog?

Well, because I like easy to make, flavorful dishes with a moderate fat count, and a wide variety of them. Providing the same for others is why Tierney Tavern is here.
If you're looking for something new and tasty to try for dinner, take a look around, and for goodness sake if you like something or even go so far as to make a dish I have posted here—Please leave a comment and let me know how you liked it or any suggestions you might have!

Contact Me

feel free to email me at:asteentierney@gmail.com