Bread and crust making Tips

Ok, so I've done a little Google searching and discovered what may have been my problem with the bread and why it turned out so dry.
http://busycooks.about.com shed some light into the importance of HOW one measures flour. It was eye opening to me to realize how wrong I'd been doing it. Maybe you will find it helpful too.

***Scooping flour from the container or bag directly with the measuring cup will pack the flour into the cup and you'll end up with too much flour. Even with a properly leveled top, this method is wrong and you will end up with as much as 30% too much flour. A cookie or cake made with flour measured this way will be tough and dry. Sauces will be too thick, and pie crusts crumbly and dry. [ding, ding, ding!--right here was my AH-HA moment!]

To measure flour correctly, you need calibrated measuring cups made for measuring dry ingredients. Do not use a coffee cup or drinking glass. Lightly spoon the flour directly into the measuring cup from the container or bag. Do not shake the cup. Do not pack the flour down. then level off with the flat edge of a knife being careful not to shake or pack down the flour.***

With this in mind, I don't feel quite as resentful toward my Cinnamon bread recipe, and I'm glad to know it before I make my second attempt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Why do I do this blog?

Well, because I like easy to make, flavorful dishes with a moderate fat count, and a wide variety of them. Providing the same for others is why Tierney Tavern is here.
If you're looking for something new and tasty to try for dinner, take a look around, and for goodness sake if you like something or even go so far as to make a dish I have posted here—Please leave a comment and let me know how you liked it or any suggestions you might have!

Contact Me

feel free to email me at:asteentierney@gmail.com